Monday, July 20, 2009

Wood Chuck, Wood Chuck...

Today has been such a fun day with the kids. I have been very intentional about making myself available to them and when I'm invited, joining in on some playtime. We have crammed so much into today that I feel compelled to document everything my little monkeys came up with...

We started the day making homemade stationary: pushing pieces of paper into trays of shaving cream and food coloring, mixed together with popsicle sticks. Then they disappeared upstairs to play. After about 30 minutes they called me up to watch "The Show". They had propped Levi's mattress against the wall and were banging on a xylophone and bowls. Levi was playing a mean harmonica and Eden was making up a song - singing it at the top of her lungs. I wish I could remember the words - I think it was some kind of an Ode to Shamu.

Then it was on to water play outside. We filled up the little pool and they started running cups of water over to the slide to make it super fast. They were perched on top of a slip and slide raft heading down the slide as fast as the water would carry them. Once they were sufficiently grassy, they headed into our bath for some "swimming".

A brief break for lunch and then Eden decorated an envelope for letter we need to send to her friend in California while Levi ran his paint cars over paper. He requested blue and green paint - a departure from his normal demand for orange. Eden, of course, had to get in on the car action as well - but quickly moved on when Levi suggested scuba diving.

So, back to the bath tub they went - snorkels in hand. After they had explored the depths of the master bath, we played a couple of quick games of Sequence, colored some Hello Kitty pictures and read a few books on the couch. I wonder what they will come up with between now and dinner...

Today's Tiny Treasure: We have been working on tongue twisters the past couple of weeks. Eden finally has, "How much wood could a wood chuck, chuck..." down. Not too shabby. Levi's version had me cracking up this afternoon. He says, "Wood Chuck, Wood Chuck" as fast as he can and then looks at me and smiles. Close Levi, Close.

No comments: